Tuesday 22 October 2013

SOMEONE TELL PHILIP



                              

  I am an ardent reader, and like most readers, I have my own list of favorite books, newspapers and columns. I write too, albeit occasionally but I did not have to include that, did I?
  My parents and elder brothers and others slightly older than I am brag about being the Whispers generation. They got to enjoy their weekly column written by the son of the soil, of the stories of Pajero and the Investment. He was and still is one of the most celebrated writers this country had. I was not old enough to enjoy his work but Goat Matata tales did it for me.
    I want to pay tribute in no particular order, to the men and women who complete my week, and make me pick up the newspaper first thing whenever I get home. They might never get to even read this but I will take my chances.
  The Surgeon’s Diary every Sunday is a masterpiece
for a very wide audience. From the school going student who needs to sharpen his grammar, to the older person who keenly follows the doctor’s stories of his patients and sometimes his family, the good surgeon keeps all of us hooked.
  Kate Flakes, how would my Saturdays be without you? The flakes column is my must read. She tells everyday stories and experiences with humour and captivation. Jackson Biko is my hero. One of the hardest things to do in my opinion is to replace a great person and continue to shine and to some extent even outshine them.
When Oyunga Pala left the column Man Talk, I was heartbroken. That did not last very long because Mr. Biko picked up with great skill and charm and I was hooked, again. Needless to say though, I still read Oyunga’s articles.
  One person who took the story of his life and continues to wow us with it is Josaya Wesonga. Fatherhood 101 every Wednesday makes me feel as if I have known Pudd’ng all her life. I never want to miss any part of her experiences, and those names Josaya, are they real? Barasa could be the unsung hero of this article; those cartoons of the family are simply perfect.
   Whenever I pick up the Friday daily Nation, I have something I am going for, my weekly dose of laughter. Philip, with his trademark hat never ceases to crack me up. I read his articles with a smile on my face, unconsciously so because if anyone gets you Philip, it’s me. I have never ceased to wonder how well you capture your readers’ attention and keep it to the end, leaving us yearning for more and making a week feel like two years before your next article.
  These great people among many others that I haven’t mentioned have inspired my writing and were partly to thank for me being the English teacher’s favorite student. Hats off to you all.
  So, someone kindly let Philip know that whenever I miss his article, my week gets ruined.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a nice piece Mahugu!! I like this article for two reasons; one, it sets a good example to Kenyan youths on good reading culture, and two, your favourite articles happen to be my best too. I would recommend that you also be reading Mwalimu Andrew's 'Staffroom diary' on the 'Sunday Nation'. However Mercy, check the word 'been' on the second and second last paragraphs. I stand to be corrected,but i think the correct word should be 'being'. Otherwise i like it. Keep giving us more..kudos!!!

Unknown said...

You know what Brian, I stand corrected. I have had unending problems with 'been' and ' being' ever since I was in primary school. thank you so much though, I feel encouraged.